LAS TANGARAS – THINGS TO DO
- Explore the garden around the lodge for coco the rocks and tiger heron in Rio Atrato any time of the day.
- Seat at the baranda overlooking the Rio Atrato below
- Fruit feeders and Humming bird garden, has over a docen of hummingbird species visiting
- Walk from the lodge up to the reserve along the quite road, more than 2 hours walk.
- Visit the habitat restoration area.
- Humming bird station at the top of the road with more than 20 species visiting it.
- The two main forest trails (DETALLES DE DISTANCIA) more than 2 kilometers one a long the side of the valley with the chance to see Gold-ringed Tanager and Choco Vireo
- Second trail follows the ridge about 3 kilometers
- For those with vehicle you could travel down to the lowest elevation of the reserve 650 msnm, with different wildlife
- Small Cable River to cross the river into the reserve. Special permission required to be used.
- River side beach by the lodge, with a phenomenal range of different rocks
- Night wildlife watching. Leaving from the restaurant. Duration 1 hour.
- Nocturnal searches are good for amphibians and birds
- We recommend a minimum stay of 2- 3 nights to enjoy the activities and variety of wildlife
The scenic beauty of the area is unparalleled. Bird watching is a favorite activity but also hiking and nature observations are available.
- Wear cold weather clothing, rubber (welly) boots, insect repellent, sunscreen and sun protection accessories.
- Please advise about health problems and food allergies.
- Respect the natural resources of the reserve. The collection of biological material is not allowed.
- Follow instructions from the reserve staff and stay on established trails.
- Disinfect shoes with Clorox or bleach to prevent the spread of the chytrid fungus (one of the leading causes of death in amphibians around the world).